How to prepare for newborn photos in home doesn’t have to be overwhelming or time consuming. I like to keep in home newborn photos short and sweet – and easy!
Table of Contents
Hey! I’m Alison, lifestyle photographer, recovering homeschool mama of 4 boys circus and USMC family.
I’ve been photographing families for 12 years. One thing I’ve learned: photos never lose their value.
But the thought of dealing with 3 hour studio photoshoot is just too much.
Not only do you have to worry about getting everyone dressed and to the studio on time, but spaces can be cramped and uncomfortable – and take forever!
In home newborn photos are half the time and capture the intimate details that studios simply can’t.
How Newborn Photos Work
- We book your due date. I only take 2 families per week to leave plenty of wiggle room. Baby’s gonna do what baby’s gonna do! We get wardrobe set before delivery.
2. After baby arrives and everyone is home, we set the actual photo session day. Newborn sessions are weekday mornings usually around 10am and last up 90 minutes and are easy and painless.
3. Two to three weeks after photo day we gather again virtually for your Gallery Reveal & Order appointment! Buy only what you love. Digital files come with the print products.
Drop your email here to get it delivered to your inbox now!
How to Prepare for Newborn Photos: Why
Why even do newborn photos in home? What it makes it better (or easier!) than going to a studio?
- You don’t leave the house
- You have everything you need at home
- You only need 2 rooms minimum
- Declutter means throw it in a box and hide it behind a door.
How to Prepare for Newborn Photos: What You Don’t Need
Most people seem to be scared of the way their house looks and completely put off by the idea, more especially in the whirlwind of a new baby. But no one expects a magazine ready house. These photos aren’t for Southern Living, they’re for YOU.
It’s your home and its worthy of being photographed for that reason alone.
How to Prepare for Newborn Photos: Light
Most in home newborn photography is done with natural light. But you do not need large windows or a massive space.
I do work with natural light but I also bring secondary light sources that look like natural light to fill in darker places.
What rooms to use in a newborn session at home:
You only need to prepare two rooms for a newborn photo session. That’s it!
- Living space, usually the master bedroom, your choice
How to prepare your house for a newborn session at home:
Declutter. Don’t worry about dust, or shoes at the door. Just clear the corner of dog toys and the surfaces of mail and dishes.
I literally mean to shove it in another room. I won’t see it and even I do, I don’t care.
When I arrive I will help make arrangements or rearrange anything you’re uncertain of!
In home Newborn Photos
More On How to Prepare for Newborn Photos
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!