Hiring top newborn photographers is one of those things that you don’t realize how important it is AFTER its too late. And when you do it, you’ll never regret it.
Of 4 Babes, I hired only ONE Newborn Photographer
I have four boys and I only hired out newborn photos for one of our babes.
I tried to DIY it for our fourth baby but it wasn’t the same because I wasn’t in the photos.
So why didn’t we hire it out again? Money.
Like most things in life it came down to money and being cheap. But I absolutely regret it. The newborn photos we do have transport me back to a time I hardly remember on my own. Our toddler’s chubby cheeks, our oldest was just starting preschool and their sweet faces and laughter or all over those photos. It was such a blur and such a brief time.
Table of Contents
Hey! I’m Alison, lifestyle photographer, recovering homeschool mama of 4 boys circus and USMC family.
I’ve been photographing families for 12 years. One thing I’ve learned: photos never lose their value.
But the thought of dealing with 3 hour studio photoshoot is just too much.
Not only do you have to worry about getting everyone dressed and to the studio on time, but spaces can be cramped and uncomfortable – and take forever!
In home newborn photos are half the time and capture the intimate details that studios simply can’t.
How Newborn Photos Work
- We book your due date. I only take 2 families per week to leave plenty of wiggle room. Baby’s gonna do what baby’s gonna do! We get wardrobe set before delivery.
2. After baby arrives and everyone is home, we set the actual photo session day. Newborn sessions are weekday mornings usually around 10am and last up 90 minutes and are easy and painless.
3. Two to three weeks after photo day we gather again virtually for your Gallery Reveal & Order appointment! Buy only what you love. Digital files come with the print products.
When To Book Newborn Photographers
You can’t reach out too soon for a newborn photographer – especially really popular top newborn photographers. As soon as you know you want a newborn photographer – BOOK IT!
If you want to do maternity photos as well, it will give you plenty of time to plan out wardrobe for that too – and not feel rushed or like a giant whale. The best time for maternity photos is between weeks 28-32 when the belly is full, but you’re not swollen.
Mama reached out at the perfect time – early in the second trimester for newborn and maternity photos. We had plenty of time to schedule her maternity session even in the busy fall months and she was well prepared for photos well before baby girl’s arrival!
How Newborn Photography Works
As soon as you know you want a newborn photographer, reach out with your EDD. I limit my schedule to two families a week for both newborn and families combined. I block off your due date to reserve space on my calendar, but we won’t decide the photoshoot day until after baby arrives. (Just keep me in the loop!)
Sometime after you come home from the hospital and before 10 days old, I’ll come to your house and photograph you, baby, the family (dog too!), nursery details in a 60-90 minute window.
Newborn photo sessions are on weekday mornings usually about 10am and last about an hour, but up to 90 minutes if baby needs more breaks. We follow his lead!
Drop your email here to get it delivered to your inbox now!
Newborn Photos can seem daunting
In-home newborn photography near me can seem daunting right after delivery, especially if this is your first time, or you’re not sure how you’ll recover from a C-section.
- Will you feel up to photos?
- How are you going to look?
- What state will the house be in?!
Don’t worry, we don’t set the photo date until after everyone is home and healthy. You don’t need to declutter the whole house, and I’ll be there to help!
5 Tips for Easy Newborn Photos
To make the most if it, and to make it easier, check out my five tips to make sure you have a successful in-home newborn lifestyle photoshoot:
- Plan outfits before delivery
- Book a photographer in the 2nd trimester
- Just tidy TWO rooms – nursery & one living space
- Plan around sibling nap times
- Stick with 2 baby outfits – max!
What to Wear for Photos
I’m here to help at every stage- and what to wear for photos matters!
Each of my clients gets access to a custom styling stool called Style & Select. You input your genders, sizes and preferred color combos and it spits out clothing options that have been vetted by real photographers!
All colors, patterns, graphics are weeded out for you!
Top Newborn Photographer Examples
Final Thoughts on Top Newborn Photographers in Oahu
In home newborn photos are the most important photos you’ll ever take.
- Include your entire family and pets in your photos.
- Make older siblings feel more comfortable and involved
- No need to worry about arranging transportation or finding a babysitter
- Get beautiful photos of your baby without ever leaving the house
- Capture the overlooked moments with your family gathered inside your nursery
- Cherish these memories forever in your own home
- Full service means you’ll have prints in your hands
- Complete an album to treasure forever before baby is one month old
More Top Newborn Photographers
- Hawaii Pelvic Therapy – 5 Easy Tips After you have a Baby
- The Best Personalized Family Photo Albums
- Easy How to Prepare for Newborn Photos In Home
- Top Newborn Photographers Oahu
- Adorable Oahu Lifestyle Photographer for Newborns
- Best 5 Baby Stores On Oahu
Continue reading about Indianapolis Photoshoot Locations with Aleah for the best 8 spots for photos in Indianapolis!
Was this helpful? What was the best tip?!
Leave a comment and let me know!
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!