Capturing those treasured moments of your newborn’s first days is an experience like no other, and what you wear for the photo shoot can make all the difference. From coordinating outfits to comfortable clothing, what you choose for a newborn photoshoot should be carefully chosen. In this blog article, we’ll explore what types of clothes are best suited for a successful newborn photo session so that you and your baby can look picture-perfect in every shot!
Stop wondering what to wear for a newborn photoshoot, I got you, mama.
Table of Contents
Drop your email here to get it delivered to your inbox now!
The importance of a newborn photoshoot
Don’t let those first days pass without being documented. Newborn photography captures the sweetness of those early days that you’ll never get back.
You’ll be sleep deprived.
Your brain won’t process long-term memories no matter how hard you try.
Don’t look back a year from now and kick yourself for not catching these moments forever.
“Definitely get those newborn photos. They grow overnight and if you blink you miss it! Your mind doesn’t always remember it…so you will be so happy that you have your baby captured in professional photos so you can remember what their little feet and hands looked like. ” – CHRISTINA
what to wear for a newborn photoshoot: parents, siblings, and baby
What to wear is the worst.
I mean, the worst.
Excited for baby, excited for nursery, for details, for siblings, and then boom – what’s everyone going to where?!
I’m here for you. I’m here to help, be a second opinion, voice of reason, sounding board – all of it.
We’ll break this down by family member and keep it simple, always starting with mom.
But first –
3 Outfit Tips for the Whole Family
- Shoot for an elevated version of your everyday self.
- Be comfortable & confident.
- Stay with neutral & pastel colors, particularly for tops.
Mom: What to Wear for a Newborn Photoshoot
Mom should be comfortable and confident in newborn photos.
The postpartum body is tough. Dresses are an easy and elegant option, but leggings are just as fabulous.
3 newborn photoshoot outfits for moms:
- Leggings – this is easy, familiar, and totally welcome! Most leggings are black, so pair them with a light-colored top.
- Jeans – rock those maternity jeans in the fourth trimester and beyond. If you’re like me, I left the hospital looking and feeling like the Michelin Man… even my maternity clothes were tiiiiiiiiiiight. Just like the leggings, pair dark jeans with a light color top.
- Maxi Dress – elegant, no waistband. Make sure it’s long and the necklines are not gaping. Especially make sure you’re not adjusting straps at all.
Dad: What to wear for a newborn photoshoot
Like mom, be comfortable and confident – a version of your everyday self. Dad should avoid dark-colored shirts and cargo shorts… and, of course, any athletic clothing at all.
5 clothing ideas for dads:
- Jeans – Make sure your top is light and bright, like a white tee, micro check button-up, etc.
- Khakis – pleats are welcome here if that’s your jam!
- Shorts are totally an option – please avoid cargo shorts… they’re just not nice enough.
- Collared shirt – call me fancy, but I do prefer a collared shirt on the dudes. But white tees can totally work. Just avoid the graphics!
- Uniform changes are totally welcome!
What baby should wear for newborn photos
With in home newborn photography, it’s easy to go overboard here! But please, pleeeeeeease remember baby hates being changed, and time is limited.
Start with a classic white onesie and have one other option. Just one.
3 Items baby will look best in:
- White onesie – have the baby in this before the session starts. Not a Gerber onesie either – a nice quality one that doesn’t show the diaper designs through them!
- Swaddle. We’ll swaddle the baby in his/her own blankets on top of that onesie.
- Heirloom outfit. We may have time to photograph the baby in one additional outfit depending on how the baby is doing and the time. This would be something heirloom quality and important, maybe even a coming-home outfit.
Siblings: what to wear for a newborn photoshoot
What should siblings wear for newborn photos? Just like with mom and dad, keep it simple, comfortable, and in neutral or light colors.
If mom isn’t wearing a print, you can do a light micro print like a check or gingham. Otherwise, if mom or dad is wearing a pattern, keep the kids in solids.
Avoid all lettering and graphic tees. Sorry, no Paw Patrol or My Little Ponies allowed!
Girl Siblings: what to wear
- Dresses are my favorite!
- Leggings and a cute top are also good.
- Avoid patterns if mom is in a print or pattern.
Boy Siblings: what to wear
- Shorts or pants with a henley or button-up shirt.
- When you’ve got more than one Lil boy – match their shirt styles like both in henley shirts or both in button-ups.
Styling tool for family and newborn photos
When in doubt, call me.
This can be a tedious process, but you don’t have to do it alone! Call me.
I want to be a second opinion, your sounding board and style guide. After booking, I have a styling tool specifically for family and newborn photos – everything is already vetted for colors and patterns that work in the camera.
You can search by style, size, gender, and, most importantly, color!
I am here for you completely when it comes to what to wear for a newborn photoshoot. I want to make this as easy as possible.
Want your own lifestyle newborn session?
Let’s do it! I make capturing your newborn’s first memories effortless and stress-free by coming to you in the comfort of your home.
Let me provide a painless, enjoyable experience that preserves precious moments with ease!
Don’t wait! Reach out to me with your EDD, or if the baby is here, tell me how old!
“Alison was easy to work with, energetic, and made me feel comfortable, so that matched with everything I was looking for in a newborn photographer who would be coming to my house shortly after having a baby! I’m so glad we choose Alison to capture this special time for us.”
Recap: What to Wear for a Newborn Photoshoot
Remember, what you wear for a newborn photoshoot is important. You want to look and feel your best while also making sure that baby feels comfortable too!
With these tips in mind, you can create the perfect wardrobe for your family photo session.
Whether it’s coordinating outfits or simply being comfortable, choose what works best for everyone involved so that each picture looks picture-perfect! … or when in doubt, reach out to me!
Find Other Popular Articles about Newborn Photographs Here:
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!