Charles Towne Landing family photos can be a bit tricky because of the state park rules. At the time of this session all professional work had to be complete by 3pm. That can cut into nap times, but its also super hot! Always call before you go. Every person of age is required to pay the necessary entry fee.
As far as family photos go, its wide open for playing. Screaming is discouraged but you can certainly be loud. And its shady! Tons of shade and a tiny breeze coming off the Ashley River.
Because of the fee, there’s very few people to contend with or edit out. There’s lots of tall thick oak trees, Spanish moss, an iron gate, avenue of oaks and gravel path.
BONUS: There’s a pond for boys to find frogs and minnows in!
Tips for Extended Family Photos
Nothing is easy about extended family photos, but its always worth it and I’m here to support you every step! But the hardest part is done: Everyone will be in one place at the same time!
Date: I always start as early in your trip as possible – before anyone gets a sunburn, and several options for weather back ups in case it rains.
What to wear: I have a whole long write up on this one!
- When in doubt, pinks and blues are easy and look good on everyone at the beach
Photographer: There’s so many to choose from! Tick off these basic requirements:
- Has experience with families – a wedding photog will not work here bc bridal parties are not the same as a gaggle of kids.
- Is FAST This can make or break your experience! A slow photog will make for a painful session with kids begging to be done. I’ve experienced it myself!
- Is flexible in your travel dates. You have a short window and weather is real. Make sure there’s a back up plan if the first date doesn’t work.
- Will come to you. Make it easy on yourself and make sure you don’t have to transport your crowd further than absolutely necessary. Less stress!
Every Extended Family Session includes
- Each Nuclear family shots
- Adult kids
- The whole fam
- Candids as time allows!
Our only limit is time and light. We work together to create a prioritized list of shots and work our way through the whole thing. I’ve never had an extended session not get all the shots in 45-60 minutes!
Hi! I’m Alison, your chaos coordinator, toddler briber, and parent commiserator. Oh! And Oahu family photographer!
As the ringleader of my own 4-boy circus, I know how hard getting family photos can be.
I run my photo session like a party. I give you something TO DO so you don’t feel awkward wondering, “Where do I put my HANDS?!”
Dad is playing with the kids, everyone forgets what’s ACTUALLY happening, and you look amazing bc you’re actually enjoying yourself. #whoknewphotoscouldbefun
Fast. Fun. Done.
What to Wear for Photos
I’m here to help at every stage- and what to wear for photos matters!
Each of my clients gets access to a custom styling stool called Style & Select. You input your genders, sizes and preferred color combos and it spits out clothing options that have been vetted by real photographers!
All colors, patterns, graphics are weeded out for you!
How I Style My Family of 6 for Photos
I have 4 boys and they didn’t match. Its definitely a puzzle but here are some tips:
- Texture is your friend
- Light color prints are ok
- You can mix plaids (shocker!)
Charles Towne Landing Family Photos
More Resources for Charleston Family Photos:
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!