What to look for in a Hawaii maternity photographer. The islands just beg to be photographed, and some of the most beautiful maternity photos have been done one the beach here. There’s a few things you need to think about and consider when looking for a maternity photographer no matter where you are.
Questions to ask yourself when looking for a Hawaii maternity photographer:
- What island are they located on?
- What’s their photographic style?
- Are they responsive and easy to work with?
- Do you feel good talking to them? Comfortable and confident?
- Do they offer newborn photography too?
- What’s their newborn photography style like?
Drop your email here to get it delivered to your inbox now!
Table of Contents
Questions for your Hawaii Maternity Photographer
What island are they located on?
We know island hopping is easy, but its going to cost you more if you’re bringing someone over from another island. Time is the biggest factor. Most photographers have it well marked on their website where they’re based, but Google doesn’t seem to know the difference so always confirm!
If you fall in love with a photographer on another island, schedule it for you to go them instead of the other way around.
What’s their photographic style?
- Are they dark and moody?
- Do they use off camera flash?
- Do they specialize in locations you love?
- Do they offer sunrise sessions?
- Do you even want to be up and dressed for photos before sunrise?
These are the most obvious things we tend to look for first. But consider the timing and location specialities before moving forward. If you’re unsure, talk to them! Your maternity photographer should be able to speak to how and where they work so you know what you’re getting into before you pay.
Are they responsive and easy to work with?
How quickly did they get back to you? Did you get to chat on the phone or did you send emails for daaaaaaaays.
Personally, I did the latter for a long time! I hated the phone but I LOVE it now! I love connecting with clients through voice. You get excitement, concern and all the personality email and text can’t convey.
Getting on the phone also answers questions super fast! No confusion, clear plan of action, how it works and what to expect all in 15 minutes.
Do you feel good talking to them? Comfortable and confident?
While you’re on the phone, pay attention to the photographer’s tone and personality.
- Are they excited for you?
- Do they know what they’re talking about?
- Would you want to hang out with this person?
Because thats EXACTLY what you’re doing at a photo session. This person is going to be the one to make your feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera so your images are fabulous.
Do they offer newborn photography too?
Most likely if you’re doing maternity photos you’ll want to do newborn photos too. So can this photographer do both? It’ll be easier to work with the same awesome person instead of vetting another photographer!
What’s their newborn photography style like?
A lot of newborn photographers do the “babies in basket” thing. That’s totally rad if that’s what you want! But know there’s another option that I think is easier – in home lifestyle newborn photos. That’s what I provide. I come to you , we shoot for 90 minutes or less and everyone, even the dog, get in on the action. There’s a lot of reasons why I love it! If you’re interested in lifestyle newborn photos, you can read more about here.
Hey! I’m Alison, lifestyle photographer, recovering homeschool mama of 4 boys circus and USMC family.
I’ve been photographing families for 12 years. One thing I’ve learned: photos never lose their value.
But the thought of dealing with 3 hour studio photoshoot is just too much.
Not only do you have to worry about getting everyone dressed and to the studio on time, but spaces can be cramped and uncomfortable – and take forever!
In home newborn photos are half the time and capture the intimate details that studios simply can’t.
How Newborn Photos Work
- We book your due date. I only take 2 families per week to leave plenty of wiggle room. Baby’s gonna do what baby’s gonna do! We get wardrobe set before delivery.
2. After baby arrives and everyone is home, we set the actual photo session day. Newborn sessions are weekday mornings usually around 10am and last up 90 minutes and are easy and painless.
3. Two to three weeks after photo day we gather again virtually for your Gallery Reveal & Order appointment! Buy only what you love. Digital files come with the print products.
Hawaii Newborn Photography:
Hawaii Maternity Photographer Resources
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!