Finding Hawaii family photographers that can handle your crew can be a challenge. We all know about photographic style and budgets, but what about personality? What about a big family that just is a lot of people? It matters and I’m here to help!
This particular extended family was unique in that all the grandkids were:
- All boys – all five of them!
- All little – under five years old!
- Included a set of toddler twin boys!
Add on that the youngest had never been to the beach before and was vehemently opposed to sand! Who can blame him?!
Table of Contents
How to find Hawaii Family Photographers for Extended Families
Start with Google.
Be very specific with your location because of the island nature! Its easier to book someone on the same island you’ll be on.
As soon as you have dates, reach out! Contact at least 5 photographers off the bat. Copy and paste the same information you have for each contact form.
Ask good questions
Ask each photographer specific questions like:
- Have you worked with X number of people before?
- Have you worked with X number of kids these ages before? (this is the most important!)
- Can you share a sample gallery of a family this size?
- How many extended families have worked with?
Scope them out on social media!
Once you’ve narrowed it down to a couple photographers that have quality experience and style you like, scope them out on Instagram! You’re hiring a personality that will be with you for up to an hour, and you’ll be investing a significant sum in. You should enjoy being with him/her.
Have you thought about family photos while you’re in Hawai’i?
Its photo season year-round here in Hawaii and I want you to take advantage of it!
Take home the bright skies, warm air and blue water to relive it over and over because you’ll never experience this place with the kids these ages ever again.
This is your one shot. Take it!
As the ringleader of my own 4 boy circus, I know how hard getting family photos can be. I’m here to change that.
If I could dress your kids and literally hang your family photos on your walls, I would …but I can’t, so I do just about everything else in between. That’s why I take the time to hold your hand from start to finish.
Because what good are family photos if your kids never see them?
I only accept two families a week, so if you have dates, reach out to Alison Bell, Photographer now.
What you wear matters
I tried to avoid it for years. But the fact is it matters.
It may not make or break the anything, but planning out the details of undergarments, colors and movement will go a long way to a great experience and even better photos!
Get every tip, trick, and clothing idea I have from 12 years experience all in one place.
Tips for Extended Family Photos
Nothing is easy about extended family photos, but its always worth it and I’m here to support you every step! But the hardest part is done: Everyone will be in one place at the same time!
Date: I always start as early in your trip as possible – before anyone gets a sunburn, and several options for weather back ups in case it rains.
What to wear: I have a whole long write up on this one!
- When in doubt, pinks and blues are easy and look good on everyone at the beach
Photographer: There’s so many to choose from! Tick off these basic requirements:
- Has experience with families – a wedding photog will not work here bc bridal parties are not the same as a gaggle of kids.
- Is FAST This can make or break your experience! A slow photog will make for a painful session with kids begging to be done. I’ve experienced it myself!
- Is flexible in your travel dates. You have a short window and weather is real. Make sure there’s a back up plan if the first date doesn’t work.
- Will come to you. Make it easy on yourself and make sure you don’t have to transport your crowd further than absolutely necessary. Less stress!
More resources for Hawaii Family Photographers
I'm a USMC spouse, South Carolina native, recovering homeschool mama of a 4 boy circus. They've taught me the most important facet of family photography: KEEP IT FUN!